This is a sentence from I. Asimov's, I, Robot:

The miles of relays and photocells had given way to the spongy globe of plantinumiridium about the size of a human brain.

I have translated it with an adjectival phrase:

Die Meilen von Relais und Fotozellen waren der schwammartigen, ungefähr menschliche gehirngroßen Kugel aus Platin-Iridium gewichen.

But I have 2 questions. 1) "gehirngroß" is a compounded adjective, but I cannot find a reference describing such compounding. For instance, Google tells me that "house-sized", translates to "hausgroß", but "dog-sized" translates to "hundegroß", not "hundgroß". Assuming Google is correct, how can I learn the rules for doing this type of compounding?

1. I am not sure how the word "menschlich" should be declined above, since it is an adjective describing Gehirn, but stands before the word "gehirngroß".
  • The first thing to note for an engineer is that in German it's kilometers ;-). Commented Dec 20, 2021 at 11:03

2 Answers 2

»Kugel« is female in German, so it would be

waren der [...] Kugel [...] gewichen.

The way you write »menschliche gehirngroßen« (disregarding declination for the moment) it implies that the sphere is human. Which I hope it is not.

I don't know any rules about when exactly an e or an s occur between the two parts of a composite word, but »gehirngroßen« is correct.

So if you want to stick with your construction, I'd say

waren einer schwammartigen, ungefähr menschenhirngroßen Kugel [...] gewichen.

An alternative to Raketenolli's translation is "von ungefähr/etwa der Größe eines menschlichen Gehirns".

So the full sentence would translate to:

Die Meilen von Relais und Fotozellen waren der schwammartigen Kugel aus Platin-Iridium von etwa der Größe eines menschlichen Gehirns gewichen.

A subclause is also an option:

Die Meilen von Relais und Fotozellen waren der schwammartigen Kugel aus Platin-Iridium gewichen, die etwa die Größe eines menschlichen Gehirns hatte.

• Delighted to see these alternatives. But I would have thought the relative clause had to be put with the noun to which it refers: "Die Meilen von Relais und Fotozellen waren der schwammartigen Kugel, die etwa die Größe eines menschlichen Gehirns hatte, aus Platin-Iridium gewichen."
    – user44591
    Commented Dec 19, 2021 at 19:51
    <nitpick>While technically not answering the question as asked</nitpick>, this is absolutely the more elegant way to put it in German. Interestingly, it is also closer to the English original. Commented Dec 19, 2021 at 23:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.