Please consider the following sentences:

Da kann sich Rio noch eine Scheibe von abschneiden.

Da sollen sich die Mitteldeutschen mal ne Scheibe von abschneiden."

Shouldn't it be "davon"? I mean:

Davon kann sich Rio noch eine Scheibe abschneiden.

Or are both versions correct?

And does the first usage apply to other da-compounds like "damit, darunter, dadurch..."?

2 Answers 2

Separating "davon" into "da" ... "von" does not conform to standard German, but it is common in Northern Germany in colloquial language. (I'm not sure about other regions.)

So, the correct (standard German) version is:

Davon kann sich Rio noch eine Scheibe abschneiden.

And in some regions you might often hear the separated version:

Da kann sich Rio noch eine Scheibe von abschneiden.

Your second example

Da sollen sich die Mitteldeutschen mal ne Scheibe von abschneiden.

shows more signs of colloquial language "... mal ne Scheibe ... abschneiden"

A standard German version would be

Davon sollen sich die Mitteldeutschen (ein)mal eine Scheibe abschneiden.

I know that this is also applies for "dafür".

In Northern Germany you may hear "Da nich für" as a response to "Danke" or "Dankeschön". The response means "Don't thank me for this.", and the standard German form would be "nicht dafür", but it is not used as much in the same context.

Examples for the other words in your question don't come to my mind, so the separation may not be possible for these. (I'm not sure.)

The quoted sentences are very colloquial. They are certainly not correct in written German, but you may hear them spoken in some regions of Germany. If you find them in a written text they are most probably referring to that spoken usage.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.