As an example among many others, I'm trying to figure out whether one could substitute 'die Beherrschung über eine Situation' for 'die Kontrolle über eine Situation', and although, e.g., dwds.de considers them to be synonyms, I'm wondering whether there are resources out there that could allow me to figure out how often certain combinations are seen together, without spending my days bothering natives hehe.

Thank you very much!

• I'm confused by "considers them to be synonyms". Do you mean the phrases "Beherrschung/Kontrolle über eine Situation" or the words "Beherrschung" vs. "Kontrolle". Being synonyms does not imply being interchangeable; "pail" is a synonym for "bucket", but you don't say "kicked the pail". You may not have noticed that DWDS gives "die Beherrschung der Situation" as a usage example under "Beherrschung", to me that's an indication that it's a typical phrase using the word.
    – RDBury
    Jan 12, 2022 at 10:34
  • @RDBury Thanks for the input!
    – shintuku
    Jan 12, 2022 at 13:35

2 Answers 2

The section Typische Verbindungen of DWDS is a good first place to check. Neither Beherrschung nor Kontrolle shows up in the entry of Situation, unfortunately.

With more than basic knowledge of German you may resort to the word usage profiles of DWDS, which for Situation can be found here: DWDS word profile: Situation.

While Kontrolle über eine Situation may be the proper translation in some contexts, I consider eine Situation unter Kontrolle haben as the more common phrase; Google ngrams gives a frequency higher by a factor of more than 10.

• Thanks a lot for the references!
    – shintuku
    Jan 12, 2022 at 13:35

That is literally what Google Ngrams does:

Ngram graph for * über eine Situation

I couldn't figure out why POS-tag wildcards don't work in German, otherwise a query like *_NOUN über eine Situation would be more appropriate.

In your case, this search would probably more useful:

Ngrams graph for Kontrolle/Beherrschung der Situation

Beherrschung über die Situation is unidiomatic and never occurs.

• Thank you very much for the answer, it was just as useful as the selected one!
    – shintuku
    Jan 12, 2022 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.