Wikipedia states:

German Americans (German: Deutschamerikaner) are citizens of the United States who were either born in Germany or are of German ancestry.

Is there an equivalent German word for German citizens born in the US? Amerikanerdeutsche doesn't sound correct to me.

  • I would use the same word (and write it with a hyphen). Note that the context of the Wikipedia article is the US. – starblue Jun 9 '13 at 8:35
  • Amerikanerdeutsche is completely uncommon. Wouldn't work at all because as user unknown noted in German Amerika does not denote a single country. – his Jun 10 '13 at 21:58
  • I don't think, that many German people do make a real difference between the too situations. What about the people who live some time here, some time there. My opinion: It depends on the context, if you are talking of US or Germany. OTOH, the last part may stress a little bit more the country of main residence. And because there are living more Germans in the US than in US-citzens in Germany, we are more used the first term. – Philm Jul 7 '15 at 22:59

US-Deutsche würde funktionieren. Amerika ist größer als die USA. :)

  • US-Deutsche klingt meinem Sprachempfinden nach auch besser als Amerika(ner)deutsche. – sizzle beam Jun 10 '13 at 19:46
  • What about a German living in the US without citizenship. Could he be called US-Deutscher too ("Ein Deutscher, der in den USA lebt.") ? Maybe. But I would not call him Deutschamerikaner. – Philm Jul 7 '15 at 23:04
  • @Philm: Wenn aus dem Kontext klar wird, ob ein Deutscher in den USA oder ein US-Amerikaner in Deutschland gemeint ist, geht wohl beides. Wenn nicht, dann beides nicht. – user unknown Jul 7 '15 at 23:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.