I do know that

I speak German well

means

Ich spreche gut Deutsch

But is

Ich spreche Deutsch gut

correct too? If not then why? And the most important: why do I have to put gut before Deutsch and not after?

1 Answer 1

Both is correct and it means the same with a slight difference in emphasis (yet can be used interchangably):

Ich spreche gut Deutsch

This is the usual form used most often. You are talking about the German language and specify how well you speak it. You might continue with particularities on listening, reading, writing or special fields where your proficiency is better or worse.

Ich spreche Deutsch gut

You talk about languages and specify how well you speak German (thus you emphasise that your German skill is good (as compared to others). You might continue to mention that your Italian proficiency is mediocre and your native tongue is Russian and that your brother's English equally good.

• What type of speech is "gut" in each of the sentences? Commented Feb 14, 2022 at 16:31
    It's an adverb in either case Commented Feb 14, 2022 at 22:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.