Mann kann den Vorgang wie folgt darstellen.

This is the result of google translation.

The process can be represented as follows. (A)

Is this correct? To me the German sentense sounds like

The precedent can be placed there as followed. (as people followed the precedent) (B)

In A, Vorgang was interpreted as the things that will come in the future, but in B I interpreted it as the things that happend previously in the past, or the thing people already did in the past.

And in A, wie folgt was interpreted as as follows(in the future), but I interpreted it as as it was followed (or as people followed)(in the past).

Which one is correct, A or B?

Your second translation possibly mixes up "Vorgang" (process) and "Vorgänger" (predecessor)? Feb 16, 2022 at 15:12

1 Answer 1

Short Answer: Yes, Google Translate is correct.

I recommed against Google Translate and using deepL instead.

Now

Man kann den Vorgang wie folgt darstellen.

(and likewise the English translation) does not make any indication about when the process is happening. I concede these are not the best examples to use with Vorgang, but let's ignore that for a moment.

Wie ist die Französische Revolution damals abgelaufen? Man kann den Vorgang wie folgt darstellen....

How did the French Revolution happen? We can depict the process as follows...

Wie funktioniert Mergesort? Man kann den Vorgang wie folgt darstellen

How does merge sort work? We can illustrate the process as follows...

Wie wird der Brexit ablaufen? Man kann den Vorgang wie folgt darstellen

How will Brexit unfold? We can describe the process as follows...

Your interpretation (B) does not make much sense to me, it just seems like a wrong translation.

• I see. I had missed the meaning of Vorgang as process and I had confused folgt with befolgt. By the way, It would be more helpful if the reader could see the interpretation for Man kann ~ darstellen in the thee examples. (we can describe the process as follows.) Thanks!
    – Chan Kim
    Feb 16, 2022 at 15:50
    @ChanKim don't worry about confusing similiar words with prefixes. I have added a sample translation to each example. Better options might be available. Feb 16, 2022 at 15:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.