I am creating a resume for working remotely and I want to mention that I am available to travel to the workplace, but we need to talk about this availability before signing the contract.

I am thinking of calling it as such:

Monatliche Reiseverfügbarkeit zum Arbeitsplatz nach Gespräch

... but I don't know if it makes sense, as Reise might be more tourism related, and the whole construct sounds wrong. What would be a good way to say it? Thank you.

The answer depends, I think. Do you mean that you work remotely and can occasionally come in? Does it refer to business trips to external locations, like clients, construction or drilling sites? How is your usual work location (home?) related to the work place you talk about? What do you mean with "monthly"? How often, how long typically? The sentence could be ok, but it should end with "... nach Absprache" Feb 19 at 21:51
  • Thank you, thats what I meant, "nach Absprache" but forgot the correct expression. I meant that I work from home but can occasionally come in, for a week per month.
    – Amc_rtty
    Feb 19 at 22:24
  • @luator Ops, sorry :-) I really misread something.
    – peterh
    Feb 21 at 11:27

2 Answers 2

If it's actually long distance (e.g. you live in London but could come to Germany for a couple days) Reise is a fitting word. But you wouldn't reisen to your place of work. However, despite German offering virtually endless combinations for compound words, I'd phrase this differently

Bereitschaft, den Arbeitsort monatlich persönlich aufzusuchen

or

Ich bin bereit, für einige Tage im Monat persönlich am Arbeitsort zu sein

No need to specify nach Absprache in your resume. That's a discussion saved for an interview.

Normally, the ability (and willingness) to travel is called Reisebereitschaft in job adverts and resumes. When you want to express this should be agreed on a case-by-case basis, attribute it with "nach Absprache". So,

Reisebereitschaft nach Absprache vorhanden.

Typically Reisebereitschaft describes eagerness for travels from working place to customers, however.
    – guidot
    Feb 20 at 9:25
    @guidot Nope. It means "willingness and ability to travel" - No implication of from where to where. My personal contract says exactly so, and the situation is similar to that of the OP (Working from home with frequent visits to the employment site)
    – tofro
    Feb 20 at 9:28
    Agree with @guidot. While the literal meaning is broader, in this context the destination "customer" is implied.
    – xehpuk
    Feb 20 at 16:43
    @tofro: "No implication of from where to where." - I disagree with this as a general statement. You can have "keine Reisebereitschaft" and still be expected to show up at your desk in the company building. It may depend on the job and context, but I, too, know the typical usage of "Reisebereitschaft" to refer to travelling elsewhere than your own company's building (actually, no matter whether you "normally" work there or from home). The point is that "Reise" in "Reisebereitschaft" is usually understood as referring to "Dienstreise", which the regular commute doesn't count as. Feb 20 at 19:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.