Sorry to interrupt with a pretty simple question but, while Wikipedia and many, many Chinese suppliers discuss fib(er|re) las(er|re)s using the word Faserlaser, many high-end German suppliers themselves seem to prefer the word Farblaser for similar products. Wiktionary has no entries on any of them. Are they complete synonyms that can be used interchangeably? or is there a nuance I'm not picking up on?

  • At least some suppliers are using Farblaser to talk about fiber lasers (like the question already explained) but apparently it's the less common general term and might be misleading. Thanks.
    – lly
    Apr 12, 2022 at 6:16
  • Any particular reason to downvote the question? Are you guys trying to drive people away? or what was the issue here? That people dropped by like haxor and didn't read the question, where I specifically linked to the Wikipedia page he suggests that I look at?
    – lly
    Apr 14, 2022 at 18:27
  • @Ily I would like to make you aware of our Code of Conduct (german.stackexchange.com/conduct), in particular of the part saying No subtle put-downs or unfriendly language. I can understand that sometimes a downvote is frustrating. But please make sure to always keep a friendly tone. Votes don't need to and should not be justified. We have to accept them as they are, even if we don't like or understand them. Please don't take this personal.
    – Jonathan Herrera
    Apr 14, 2022 at 20:59
  • @jonathan.scholbach Again, none of that is new and reread my post. I didn't take anything personally. I asked for clarification of a confusing point and accurately described Haxor's failure to read the question, without even getting into the condescension involved. Since you're repeating it, though, yeah, stop.
    – lly
    Apr 14, 2022 at 21:10
  • @Ily I am not repeating anyone's point and I am not taking a position in the argument. My remark was about tone, not about content or argumentative validity.
    – Jonathan Herrera
    Apr 15, 2022 at 9:27

1 Answer 1


A Farblaser (colloquial for Farblaserdrucker) is a colour laser printer, a Faserlaser is a fibre-coupled laser (used in research labs for example).

  • 1
    For the former the full word is Farblaserdrucker (I consider the truncation as colloquial), and it is mentioned on the Wiktionary page for Laserdrucker and marked as a not yet existing page.
    – guidot
    Apr 12, 2022 at 8:07
  • Thanks, I should have mentioned that, I'll edit the answer accordingly!
    – Photon
    Apr 12, 2022 at 8:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.