I am trying to understand the difference between "dauern" and "andauern". I checked lots of examples and stumbled upon one that I am not sure about.

Could you please explain me why, in this example, "andauern" is a better choice than "dauern"?

Bis dahin wird diese Stagnation andauern.

• "Andauern" points out that there is a (certain, limited) period of time where a certain state exists, focussing in the state. "Dauern" would refer more to the duration of this period. Like "Die Stagnation wird drei Jahre dauern." focuses on more the three years, whereas "The Stagnation wird drei Jahre andauern." focuses on more the stagnation.
    – BogisW
    Commented Apr 23, 2022 at 22:30
  • @BogisW: Die Kommentare sind nicht für Antworten gedacht. Commented Apr 24, 2022 at 16:22
  • Du hast grundsätzlich Recht. Ich war beim Schreiben nicht sicher, ob das so stimmt - zu wenig sicher für eine Antwort.
    – BogisW
    Commented Apr 24, 2022 at 16:33

1 Answer 1

"[Ein Zustand] dauert an." means "[A state] continues (to exist).". A lower register term that means the same is: "[Ein Zustand] geht weiter."

Die Stagnation dauert an.
Die Stagnation geht weiter.
(Stagnation continues)

It implies that the state is already ongoing.

Dauern means to require, to take or to last in the sense of

Der Bau der Brücke dauert vier Monate. (Building the bridge takes/requires four months.)
Die Stagnation dauerte drei Jahre. (Stagnation lasted for three years.)

It looks at a duration as a whole. It does not have the sense of to continue that andauern has.

Note that you can still use "andauern" in the past, too:

Die Stagnation dauerte über drei Jahre an.
(Stagnation continued for three years.)

but, like in the English translation, it still has a slighly different perspective on the duration than "Die Stagnation dauerte drei Jahre.".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.