A video of Michel Thomas teaching, one in the black coat

I struggle to learn unless I know I'm listening to a person with a good accent. In other words, are there any foreign accent in his speech. It's eccentric of me to not be able to listen to people with an accent, I'm sorry, I just wanted some help from German learners and speakers how Michel Thomas accent is, despite the fact I know his teaching methods are great. I just want to get the accent right for me when I'm learning German. It's important for me.

• @HalvarF: I tend to agree. It might be more appropriate to ask if he has a foreign accent or a noticeable regional accent. He was born in 1914, by the way.
    – RDBury
    Commented May 14, 2022 at 22:20
    He talks like my grand dad used to.i am amazed by his quick and flawless context/ language switches. Commented May 14, 2022 at 23:17
  • @RDBury Yes, that's what I meant. Does he have a foreign accent? But I don't mind any regional accent, or at all mind him speaking like a person 100 years ago, as long as he's speaking German 100 years ago like how they spoken it! And it is not an opinion based question. You either have the country's accent right or not, or maybe 90% of it, with 10% foreign accent like many American born Chinese or Japanese people have. It's not hard to understand Commented May 15, 2022 at 5:00
    Even his English sounds German :)
    – Carsten S
    Commented May 15, 2022 at 9:35

1 Answer 1

His pronunciation is perfect, and he speaks clean Hochdeutsch. According to the Wikipedia article, he was born in 1914 and lived in Breslau (now Wrocław; it was a German city inhabited by Germans at that time) as as child and teenager between age 7 and 19, so it's no wonder he learned perfect German. His English seems to have a very slight German accent, but I don't hear any accent in his German.

Of course, he was born in 1914, so it's not a very contemporary way of speaking German. Whether that's a problem for you or not depends on what your goals are.

(For context, I'm a native speaker who has lived in different parts of Germany.)

• As a native German speaker I totally agree: His pronunciation is perfect, and he speaks clean Hochdeutsch.
    – Olafant
    Commented May 15, 2022 at 12:46
  • thanks for the comment Commented May 16, 2022 at 15:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.