I was swapping YouTube videos with a friend, and I showed Die Heimatdamisch, Kids in Bavaria.

Of course, I immediately "won" the "competition" (won one of my own beers).

Q: How do I translate/convey the feeling of "Heimatdamisch"?

What is that feeling expressed in terms of English words to you? They even sing in English... Sense of belonging? Local patriotism? Posh? Commented Jun 11, 2022 at 20:34
    Heimatdamisch is a compound consisting of Heimat and damisch, both of which can be found in dictionaries (although damisch is southern German, so not all dictionaries may contain it).
    – RHa
    Commented Jun 11, 2022 at 20:58
    I'm having a hard time understanding what you want for an answer. This seems to be a novel compound, meaning it's composed for a single use. Such compounds usually require at least two words to translate into English. Does the video or the contest have anything to do with the question, or are you just trying to translate the name? Band names are often inscrutable, being inside jokes or a reference only fans will understand. To translate a word properly you really need an example of the word being used in a sentence.
    – RDBury
    Commented Jun 11, 2022 at 23:40
    Anyway, I gather the "premise" of the band is to explore what would happen if American/British bands from the '80's (Cyndi Lauper, Kim Wilde, etc.) were actually south German polka bands. Apparently they're based in Bad Tölz, a town near the Austrian border.
    – RDBury
    Commented Jun 12, 2022 at 0:17
    Not "Die Heimatdamisch", but "The Heimatdamisch".
    – Paul Frost
    Commented Jun 23, 2022 at 12:46

6 Answers 6

"damisch" is bavarian dialect for "dämlich" (dim-witted, asinine) but that doesn't really convey the meaning of it. So the can-be-looked-up-in-a-dictionary comments are quite damisch themselves.

The word "damisch" has actually two meanings: it can be used with the meaning "asinine" (unlike "dämlich", which only has this meaning) with a connotation of "being confused" (a rather mild insult would i.e. be "Depp, damischer"), but in this context the meaning is another: to be passionate about something - to a point, where one is willing to appear asinine for others. The standard german counterpart would be the affix "-trunken", like in "freudetrunken" (overjoyed).

A native english-speaker can perhaps shed more light on this, to me a good translation would be "enthralled".

This seems to convey the idea of the band which covers pop pieces with the means of Blasmusik (or, rather, "Blåsmusi").

• Thanks for that. I lived in Bavaria for 6 or 7 years, but never heard "damisch". Interesting
    – Mawg
    Commented Jun 12, 2022 at 6:16
    Just to make sure for learners... the word "dämlich" itself can NOT be used that way. It's always "dim witted".
    – Emanuel
    Commented Jun 12, 2022 at 9:29
    @Emanuel: correct, thanks for the reminder. I added that to the answer.
    – bakunin
    Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 9:00
  • I want to add, that "dämlich" is just a side-meaning of damisch with a low frequency of usage, at least in Austria, where the majority of native speakers of Bavarian dialects lives (almost 9 million Austrians speak Bavarian dialects, but only less than 7 million Germans (inhabitants of Altbayern)). The main meaning of damisch is "dizzy". In fact, damisch is a better translation for the english word dizzy than any standard German word. The Austrian commedian Thomas Maurer premiered a program entitled »Intensivdamisch« in 1998 and in ... Commented Sep 14, 2023 at 7:14
  • ... the description of this program he wrote: »damisch: ugs. benommen, unausgeschlafen, verstört« (damisch: colloquial dazed, unrested, disturbed) and ostarrichi.org lists »verwirrt, benommen« (confused, dazed) for good reason as first meaning. The second meaning (dumm = stupid) just derives from the the dizziness that is the main meaning of »damisch«. Commented Sep 14, 2023 at 7:15

If you wanted to go for a name with similar connotations, I'd try for "The Patridiots". Grammatically, "Patridiotic" would be closer, but "idiotic" is too much in specifically non-colloquial language domain to fit the regional "damisch" well. The problem with using "home" as translation of "Heimat" is that "Heimat" never means a single building or homestead while that's the main connotation of "home". "Heimat" is always a geographical term (country, region, township, or similar) as opposed to "Heim".

As an American, who's studied German... The nearest that I can get that the band attempting was a word play on; "nut·house" as per the definition; a home or hospital for people with mental illnesses.

Addition: the American colloquialism for nuthouse... That being a happy home, with term "happy" eluding to crazy.

Welcome to German SE! You can always edit your previous answer. I'm don't think I agree with your interpretation idea here though. For once "Heimat" and "Heim" are two very different words. "Heimat" refers to something like a town, region or country, so "nut house" and "Heimat" aren't really compatible. Also, the order of words doesn't really fit. It's like saying that the word "homegrown" refers to a grown home or a home for grown people. It doesn't work that way around.
    – HalvarF
    Commented Jan 19, 2023 at 15:26

A good translation of Heimat damisch would be "homeland-mad/crazy" with damisch/mad or crazy both conveying the two meanings: "utterly enthralled" and "meshuggene". God bless you all down to the seventh generations of the fruit of your loins.

• I believe homeland has quite different connotations than Heimat. Unrelated praise of your preferred deity are not suitable in postings here Commented Jun 11, 2023 at 0:49

Based on their music and videos, I would guess that a very rough American translation would be The Village Idiots. It could also allude to someone at home in their confusion. Heimat does not always refer to a specific geographical area, but more a place where someone feels truly at home. Damisch is a bit more difficult, as it is primarily a Bavarian dialect. Dim, confused, crazy would all fit the bill in their own way.

As it’s currently written, your answer is unclear. Please edit to add additional details that will help others understand how this addresses the question asked. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Commented Sep 14, 2023 at 16:53

They're a delight, aren't they, The Heimatdamisch? It's being such precise musicians that makes their comedy so irresistible.

I too have been wondering about their name. Wikipedia gives some support for Heimat not exclusively connoting homeland but also home: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat In that case I wonder if it derives from COVID lockdown conditions when so many people felt they were going mad stuck at home. In which case perhaps an idiomatic translation would be 'stir crazy'.

However, the oom-pah polka band is also to most people an egregiously crazy feature of south German culture; so, The Bayern Berserkers.

• No, just no. This doesn't provide an answer, and the speculation is easily falsifiable when looking at how long the band exists. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heimatdamisch Commented Aug 21, 2023 at 10:45
  • Fair comment. I did wonder if they'd been around that much longer. Commented Aug 21, 2023 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.