In another question the following sentence was corrected:

Sie wartete bis einen günstigen Moment der elterlichen Ablenkung.

to this:

Sie wartete bis zum günstigen Moment der elterlichen Ablenkung.

However, DWDS.de says that the "zu" is not always necessary. For instance:

Ich wartete bis Ende Oktober. #11

Wir warteten bis Montag, dann fuhren Frau Ubben u. Kreuzig nach Allrode. #12

Er wartete bis 10 Uhr. #37

Sie und Cornelius Friebott warteten bis elf Uhr abends zusammen im lichtlosen Zimmer, ob der Feind käme. #45

How does the first sentence differ from these such that a "zu" is required?

The accepted answer answers your question, but your second example is very undiomatic. In this case, you would use »warten auf« which can be followed directly by a noun; I'd say »Sie wartete auf einen günstigen Moment ...«. Commented Jun 17, 2022 at 22:27

2 Answers 2

The usage note in the Wiktionary entry explains this. Basically, bis is not a 'normal' preposition since it's not followed by a noun except in certain cases. In the temporal sense it can be used with a specific time or date you can point to on a clock or calendar. So bis Montag, bis 2 Uhr, bis nächste Woche, etc. are okay, but with other nouns you have to insert another preposition such as zu. For example, it's common to hear bis zum nächsten Mal = "until next time" at the end of radio and television shows.

Here is was a wrong correction given.

Sie wartete bis einen günstigen Moment der elterlichen Ablenkung.

to this:

Sie wartete bis zum günstigen Moment der elterlichen Ablenkung.

Richtig wäre: Sie wartete einen günstigen Moment der elterlichen Ablenkung ab.

• Yes, but that is about »abwarten«, the question asks about »warten«. Commented Jun 17, 2022 at 22:24
  • Although I had asked about warten, the insightful correction is additionally helpful to my translating, and I am grateful for it. I learned something I did not expect to learn. A bonus.
    – user44591
    Commented Jun 19, 2022 at 15:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.