I am looking for a proper translation of "I don’t want to make you intoxicated, but I miss you." My translation is „Ich will keine Vergiftung verursachen, aber ich vermisse dich.“ - I am thinking about an intoxication of body and mind - is the translation accurate?

It's not about "arousal", on the contrary: When there is a lot of something, intoxication can occur. In this case, by me. If there are a lot of me, I will be intrusive. Here is my version of the German sentence with a bit more context: „Ich werde nicht, Wie oft darf ich schreiben. Ich will keine Vergiftung verursachen, aber ich vermisse dich.“

Neither the German nor the English sentence make a lot of sense to me. Are you translating from English to German?
    – idmean
    Aug 2, 2022 at 16:15
    Just to make a stab at the meaning you'd like to convey: "Intoxicate" can mean "to excite or elate to the point of enthusiasm or frenzy" (Merriam-Webster 1b). Is this your intention? In certain contexts I'd translate the verb with "berauschen" (in analogy with alcoholic beverages), "betören" (an intoxicating scent, "betörender Duft"). – This just as an attempt to clarify :)
    – marquinho
    Aug 2, 2022 at 16:46
    Along the other comments: please provide more context and situation around the text, and clarify the question and especially the direction of translation Aug 2, 2022 at 16:52
  • No, it's not about "arousal", on the contrary. When there is a lot of something, intoxication can occur. In this case, by me. if there are a lot of me, I will be intrusive. Here is the sentence: „Ich werde nicht, Wie oft darf ich schreiben. Ich will keine Vergiftung verursachen, aber ich vermisse dich.“
    – Anfisa
    Aug 2, 2022 at 19:28
  • @planetmaker: Auch Du bist eingeladen formulierte Schließungsgründe mit formalen Schließungsbegehren zu begleiten. Aug 2, 2022 at 22:30

3 Answers 3

With the context given of the fear that a person might get too much from the presence of another person: I think neither intoxication in English is a particularly good choice for its different connotations, but German 'Vergiftung' is even stronger and always negative (a poissoning, not an intoxication which can be seen as positive effect of a drug) and indicates a clinical illness from a too much of a substance.

In the context of a relationship between two people I would expect something along the lines of

Ich möchte dir nicht zur Last fallen, aber... (I don't want to be a burden to you, but...)

Ich möchte dich nicht belästigen, nur... (I don't want to harass you, but...)

If you need it dramatic, a sometimes used metaphor is 'ersticken' (to stifle /suffocate / smother):

Ich möchte dich nicht ersticken, aber... (I don't want to suffocate you, but...)

Im Deutschen spricht man auch von einer vergifteten Stimmung, guten Laune oder Beziehung, aber ohne nähere Präzisierung, was am anderen vergiftet werden könnte ist die Formulierung im Deutschen unverständlich.

"Ich will Dich nicht bedrängen" kann im Deutschen nicht durch "... vergiften" ausgedrückt werden, auch "Ich möchte mich nicht Überdosieren" - eigentlich ein guter Fund von HalvarF - wird in diesem Sinne nicht genutzt.

• No, it's not about "arousal", on the contrary. When there is a lot of something, intoxication can occur. In this case, by me. if there are a lot of me, I will be intrusive. Here is the sentence: „Ich werde nicht, Wie oft darf ich schreiben. Ich will keine Vergiftung verursachen, aber ich vermisse dich.“
    – Anfisa
    Aug 2, 2022 at 19:31
  • Vergiftung in German means poisoning. IMHO it does not make sense in this context.
    – RHa
    Aug 2, 2022 at 19:57
  • @Anfisa: "Arousal" habe ich auch nicht verstanden, aber ich verstehe nun besser, wie der Ausdruck überhaupt gemeint ist. Aug 2, 2022 at 22:24
  • @RHa: Und toxic bedeutet nicht giftig, oder geht Dein Kommentar gar nicht an mich? Hier sind so fancy @-Symbole … Aug 2, 2022 at 22:33

Ich think "Vergiftung" is hard to understand as "too much of something" here, I think you would have to explain that you mean that in some way.

A different word you could maybe use is "die Überdosis" (overdose) or "überdosieren" (to overdose) or (less associated with illegal drugs) "Überdosierung".

Ich will keine Überdosierung verursachen, aber ich vermisse dich.

could maybe work and be an understandable metaphor to an intelligent person. It's not idiomatic to use it that way of course, so it can still be misunderstood.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.