What's the difference between the following sentences:

• Wir hatten uns schon länger nicht mehr gesehen.
  • Wir hatten uns schon länger nicht gesehen.

EDIT - another example:

• Viele der alten Krankheiten plagen uns heute nicht mehr.
  • Viele der alten Krankheiten plagen uns heute nicht.

1 Answer 1

I guess, this is a duplicate, but could not find the earlier question.

There is no difference in respect to the long time span you didn't see each other. The nicht mehr variant implies however, that you used to meet quite frequently earlier.

(I can't provide a satisfying reference for this right now.)

In the second example nicht mehr reflects the expectation, that this also holds for the future, while nicht only refers to the current moment.

• +1. Good point about the distinction of how things used to be earlier. Aug 3, 2022 at 13:33
  • But, the thing is, if it wasn't someone I see quite often, I wouldn't even bother telling him/her "Hey, we haven't seen each other for quite some time" Aug 3, 2022 at 14:07
  • @KeN SmilePachI: This kind of thing is fairly common in English, there's even an idiom "Long time no see."
    – RDBury
    Aug 3, 2022 at 14:15
  • @RDBury yeah but how would that translate in German? with "nicht mehr" or only "nicht"? Aug 3, 2022 at 19:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.