(Me)
Wenn ich objektiv sein soll, sind die Hunde meistens sehr groß und somit eine Gefahr. Ich kann ein Beispiel geben:

(corrected)
Wenn ich objektiv sein soll, sind die Hunde meistens sehr groß und somit eine Gefahr. Ich kann dafür ein Beispiel geben:

A German native speaker corrected me saying that I should put dafür in the final clause. I don't understand the reason for this correction. Shouldn't the idea that it is "for that" be implied from the context itself?

2 Answers 2

I as a native German speaker can't see any reason to add dafür.

Wenn ich objektiv sein soll, sind die Hunde meistens sehr groß und somit eine Gefahr. Ich kann ein Beispiel geben:

is perfectly fine and you are right: clear from context.

Grammatically there is nothing wrong with omitting the pronominal adverb dafür, but the sentence is stylistically more superior when you use it. You have a pair of two sentences here that belong together and complement each other. The first sentence (dogs are big and dangerous) is an introductory statement, while the second sentence (there is an example) is a conclusion. In this context, the pronominal adverb "dafür" is the glue that connects the two.

Of course, the statement of the second sentence is clearly understandable without this word, and the sentence is also grammatically correct, but when the word dafür is missing, one misses this nice glue that makes a smooth unity out of the two separate sentences.

I don't agree with the claim "the sentence is stylistically more superior when you use it". If there is anything to say about style here, it highly depends on context. But in the example given, I would tend to consider omitting the redundant word superior style.
    – Jonathan Herrera
    Commented Oct 9, 2022 at 20:42
    I agree that the word "dafür" adds the idiomatic glue to the two sentences. Without this glue, the train of thought looks incomplete. Commented Oct 10, 2022 at 21:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.