In https://youtu.be/s7vJcUogrEI , what does the woman(mother) say before she starts singing? To me it sounds like "Du wirst ihn törten und den mystiken sonnen Kreise mir überliefern"(You will kill him and provide me the mystic sun circle). Is this correct?

As seen in the answer below, the entire libretto can be found on-line. You may also be interested in this version since you can turn on subtitles in German (also Italian and English). While I'm sure you can't have a problem with the music, using the opera to study German could be confusing since it was written over 200 years ago and the language has changed since then.
    – RDBury
    Commented Dec 4, 2022 at 8:49

1 Answer 1

She says:

Du wirst ihn töten und den mächtigen Sonnenkreis mir überliefern.

In English (per Google): "You will kill him and hand over the mighty circle of the sun to me." I've forgotten exactly what the Sonnenkreis was, but the opera is full of magical artifacts; the flute was just one of them.
    – RDBury
    Commented Dec 4, 2022 at 8:56
    @RDBury It's not explained in detail in he opera what the exact capabilities of the Sonnenkreis are, but it seems to be Sarastro's main magical source of power. In many modern stagings, the Sonnenkreis is not even mentioned (and replaced with the temple - who owns the temple is in power) as the scene that mentions it is considered overly long and often cut.
    – tofro
    Commented Dec 4, 2022 at 10:43
  • Thanks alot for the answer and the comments!
    – Chan Kim
    Commented Dec 4, 2022 at 11:04
  • Wo lebt Ihr, dass Ihr den Sonnenkreis nicht kennt - anderes Wort dafür: Corona. :) Commented Dec 4, 2022 at 16:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.