This 10-second video is a clip my English son in law sent us today from Köln. Though I'm learning German myself, I cannot understand what the speaker said.
To me, it sounds like (even after getting help from youtube's automatic translation, it doens't still make sense..),

Er kommt. Ich darf unseren Messdiener wütend(?), bereits schon.
Übergebe das Mikrofon gerne an Monsignore Rhoback(?).

I'm curious. What did the German man say?

• @CarstenS Sorry, I added the link.
    – Chan Kim
    Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 14:46
  • Youtube's automatic subtitle function is surprisingly good here and might already help you a lot (But still not perfect)
    – tofro
    Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 14:50
  • @tofro Yes, I didn't check the automatic caption after the youtube upload. Because the clip starts and ends in the middle of a statement, the automatic interpretation couldn't catch it all exactly, but sure it helps me alot. and I realize I could use this method in this situation. But the interpretation is unnatural in a couple of places as you said.
    – Chan Kim
    Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 14:58
    At the end of the video I hear "Monsignore Robert K"[end of recording] and strongly suspect he means Stadtdechant Monsignore Robert Kleine, who was involved in the celebrations.
    – marquinho
    Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 15:46

1 Answer 1

Er kommt – und ich darf unseren Messdiener bitten, parat zu stonn (= bereit zu stehen), und übergebe das Mikrofon gerne an Monsignore Robert ...

• Ah, thank you so much!
    – Chan Kim
    Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 20:15
  • Hi, @DonHolgo, is 'parat zu stonn' a dialect? or is it just a mis-prunciation?
    – Chan Kim
    Commented Jan 9, 2023 at 5:44
    I think "parat" is used in other regions too (it even has a Wiktionary entry), "stonn" is the dialect version of "stehen".
    – DonHolgo
    Commented Jan 9, 2023 at 8:37
  • There is also a well known Karneval song that includes "dann stonn mer all parat" (dann stehen wir alle bereit) in its refrain, so even people who don't usually speak Kölsch may use this phrase during Karneval.
    – xyldke
    Commented Jan 13, 2023 at 12:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.