A presenter in Zurich said a word in German that meant ‘one who thinks with their hands’. It was a single word I believe, I can not recall it. It may be particular to the Swiss. Any ideas?

  • 2
    Are you sure it was "think"? I know the phrase of "talking with the hands" for people with high active gestics while talking... But I have no imagination about people thinking with hands... What does it mean? Commented Jan 25, 2023 at 7:04

1 Answer 1


The term »mit den Händen denken« ("thinking with hands") is not very common. The most websites that deal with it are from Switzerland.


There are theories about how some people learn the easiest way, and these theories define different learning types:

  • People who belong to the auditive learning type learn best when they hear something
  • the visual learning type needs to see something
  • the communicative learning type must talk with others to learn
  • the haptic learning type must touch things

There are also some other types in discussion (the motor type must walk, etc.), and all these theories are heavily discussed because some researchers have found evidence, that this all might just be an illusion.

However, the point is: There is a haptic type, and in German this is:

ein haptischer Typ

This is a person that needs to touch things with their hands to better understand them. So this is what you might call a person who thinks with their hands. If you want to have just one word for it, then it is:


This is a correct word, but it is rare.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.