..falls du einen Vogel siehst hör auf zu Trinken..
es ist eine Katze.

enter image description here

Source: https://debeste.de/309205/falls-du-einen-Vogel-siehst-h-r-auf-zu-Trinken

I know it literally means 'if you see a bird stop drinking, it is a cat', but what is the trick?

I’m voting to close this question because it is not related to language issues. Btw.: Stop drinking. ;) Mar 1, 2023 at 5:28
    If you see a bird, stop drinking = wenn du einen Vogel siehst, hör auf zu trinken; if you see a bird stop drinking … = wenn du einen Vogel aufhören siehst zu trinken (awkward, better: wenn du siehst, wie ein Vogel aufhört zu trinken).
    – David Vogt
    Mar 1, 2023 at 20:53
    (So the issue is that if you see a bird(,) stop drinking is ambiguous in English, but the German example cited is not.)
    – David Vogt
    Mar 1, 2023 at 20:54

1 Answer 1

There's no trick, just a funny picture.

If you're only casually glancing at the picture, you might think you see a black bird: One of the bird's eyes is looking at you, and the beak is pointing to the right. But if you look more closely, you realize it's a cat, the alleged beak is the cat's ear, and the second eye of the cat is just not that prominent.

So the idea of the text is just literally what it says: If you think this picture shows a bird, you should stop drinking (alcohol), because it's a picture of a cat.

• Oh, I thought if the bird stops drinking it becomes a cat. I was thinking in the wrong direction, and it is indeed a cat. Feb 28, 2023 at 23:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.