Why does da change the position in this subordinate clause?

Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, weil … Sie hat da eine große Wohnung.

Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, weil sie eine groβe Wohnung da hat.

2 Answers 2

It doesn't need to change position. The person who provided the solution changed the position for whatever reason.

Both positions of "da" are possible in the main clause, too:

Sie hat da eine große Wohnung.
Sie hat eine große Wohnung da.

If the task of the exercise is just to convert the given main clause into a "weil ..." clause, then the correct solution is:

Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, weil ______. Sie hat da eine große Wohnung.
==> Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, weil sie da eine groβe Wohnung hat.

In other words, the change of position of "da" is entirely optional and has nothing to do with whether it's a main clause or a subordinate clause.

• I'd add another version: "Da hat sie eine große Wohnung." Mar 15, 2023 at 13:18
  • Are you sure? "Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, weil sie eine grosse Wohnung hat da." sounds extremely strange to me, and entirely ungrammatical. I do not believe that the possible position of "da" has nothing to do with whether it's in a main or subordinate clause - it is indeed more restricted in a subordinate one. Mar 15, 2023 at 13:35
  • You’re right, da cannot come after the verb in the subordinate clause (nothing can, really). The subordinate clause corresponding to “Sie hat eine große Wohnung da.” is “…, weil sie eine große Wohnung da hat.” Mar 15, 2023 at 14:16
  • @HalvarF Thanks for your help and explanations
    – user
    Mar 15, 2023 at 14:35
  • @StephanKolassa Am I sure of what? The correct version with a "late" da is already in the question: "weil sie eine groβe Wohnung da hat." I don't know where you found the version "weil sie eine grosse Wohnung hat da". I agree - that would sound wrong.
    – HalvarF
    Mar 15, 2023 at 14:57

You might also consider another solution. Da may be used causally (in the sense of weil, i.e. 'because'). Another possibility is for indicating locality in the sense of dort, i.e. 'over there'). That would make it

Meine Tante wohnt in Berlin, da sie dort eine große Wohnung hat.

In this case, da is used in the same sense as weil (causal) and being replaced by dort indicating locality.

• Thanks for your reply
    – user
    Mar 15, 2023 at 14:35
  • Would "...da sie da eine grosse Wohnung hat" work? Mar 15, 2023 at 15:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.