How can I say the profession of one who color grades films, in German? In English this is said as "colo(u)rist" or "colo(u)r corrector".

This is a niche profession, however many of my family members work in this industry, so it comes up for me in conversations.

What I tried:

  • I looked up colorist / colourist on wiktionary. Doesn't provide the definition I am looking for and has no translations.
  • I looked for the article on English wikipedia. There is an article for Colorist which has a German version, but it's a different kind of colorist, and there's an English article for Color grading with no German version linked. This suggests "Colorist(in)" as a possible translation
  • I checked on dict.leo.org, which gives Kolorist(in) as a translation, but doesn't say for which definition. (This is the dictionary my course instructor has recommended)
  • I checked Kolorist(in) on dwds which does not include the definition I am looking for. Colorist(in) redirects to Kolorist(in).
  • 1
    Why do you think the German Wikipedia article is about a different kind of colorist? Citation of the first sentence: "Ein Colorist ist ein Fachmann der Bildenden Kunst, der bei Comics, Filmen und anderen Medien Farben (lat.-engl. colors) hinzufügt oder abstimmt." (A colorist is a specialist/professional of visual arts who adds or adjusts/tunes colors in comics, films and other media.)
    – Bodo
    Mar 23, 2023 at 17:18
  • 1
    @Bodo Ah! I didn't read the German article. I meant that the English article was about a different kind of colorist, and it is. I guess I should have checked the German article had the same subject, instead of assuming it was the same since they were linked. Mar 23, 2023 at 17:30

1 Answer 1



Der Filmlichtbestimmer, kurz auch Lichtbestimmer, ist ein Spezialist, der einzelne Filmszenen je nach gewünschter Stimmung auf Helligkeit, Farbe und Kontrast abstimmt. Das Berufsbild wurde, beginnend in etwa ab dem Jahr 2000, weitgehend durch den Coloristen abgelöst, der mittels Digital Intermediate und nicht mehr mit Chemie und Mechanik arbeitet.


Der Beruf des Farbkorrekteurs in der Filmbranche wird als Lichtbestimmer, im digitalen Bereich als Colorist bezeichnet.


Heutzutage verwendet man für den Vorgang der Farbkorrektur meist den englischen Begriff Color Grading oder kurz Grading. Daraus leiten sich die alternativen Berufsbezeichnungen Colour Grader und Color-Timer ab.

  • The old profession is: Filmlichtbestimmer
  • The digital version is: Colorist
  • Colour Grader und Color-Timer is also used

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.