I read Carl --glin zu Lindensee but would like an expert opinion on the beginning of the surname. I would like it to read Reglin*, but I just can't see it that way.enter image description here*

I read "Koglin"; the name is present in or around Dortmund today. Do you have circumstantial reasons to expect "Reglin"?
    – marquinho
    Commented Mar 27, 2023 at 22:41
  • (Sorry for mixing up Dortmund and Darmstadt in the comment)
    – marquinho
    Commented Mar 28, 2023 at 14:11
  • Yes -- the photo belonged to the Reglin family, who lived in the Lindensee vicinity. Their son Carl (b. 1841) was of the correct age to be the soldier pictured in the photo on the other side of this image. Commented Mar 29, 2023 at 0:43

1 Answer 1

I agree with the parts you already deciphered and read

Carl Koglin zu Lindensee

Bodo Koglin's very detailed website traces the origin of the surname in Pomerania/West Prussia and provides more genealogical info, including distribution over time.

There was significant emigration to other Prussian and German regions, even before 1945. (I reckon the time frame of your photo as ca. 1870-1910.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.