I am reading a novel, and in a couple places I have read:

»Oh«, machte er.

I know that "machte" is the preterite form of "machen," meaning "to make." However, I can't find a meaning of the word "machen" that has to do with vocalization. Is it used in this context because he is "making" an "oh" sound? Thank you!

1 Answer 1

It's simply yet another synonym for 'utter'. 'Er macht "oh"' == "He goes "oh!"'.

You can use it with real words, but more idiomatically it's used with onomatopoesy, like "Oh!" or "Au!" - or even of animals, who have only pseudo-words: 'Die Kuh macht "muh!"

• Thank you! So it would also be correct to use with other sentences that are uttered, like "»Ja«, machte er"?
    – kccu
    Apr 1 at 15:05
    You can use it with real words, but more idiomatically it's used with onomatopoesy, like "Oh!" or "Au!" - or even of animals, who have only pseudo-words: 'Die Kuh macht "muh!" Apr 1 at 15:09
    @KilianFoth I moved your comment into your answer as it clarifies the usage quite a bit more. Please adjust, if you see this unfit. Apr 2 at 23:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.