What is the simplest way to say "the whole thing" in German?

I used the word "vollständiger" in the following computer programme:

vollständiger_text = """    
    cloud    
    fog    
    fumes    
    miasma    
    mist    
    murk    
    smog    
    steam    
    water vapor    
"""    
words = vollständiger_text.split()      

The word "fog" is one of many words inside of the vollständiger text (The whole thing).

I want to replace the phrase vollständiger text with a German phrase for The whole thing.

I worry that the word "vollständiger" is too fancy. How would a child say, "the whole thing", or what is the simplest way to say the "the whole thing" in German?

nevermind an actual answer, but using anything but english variable names in a computer program ist considered bad style and should be avoided. Apr 26, 2023 at 18:11
    @infinitezero I don't think that is true. It depends for whom you write the sources. It's not something I prefer to do, but I wouldn't consider it bad style Apr 26, 2023 at 23:53

2 Answers 2

"The whole thing" would be "Das ganze Ding", "die Gesamtheit" (entirety) or maybe even "alles" (everything).

It's tempting to go on a tangent about variable naming, because all of these are actually worse than "vollständiger_text", which is at least somewhat expressive in comparison. Depending on the scope of this variable, it would probably be better to use a name that describes the variable from a business logic perspective rather than a completely technical one, like "wasserdampf_mehrzeilig" or something like that. But, of course, this is offtopic in German Language SE.

Other more expressive but technical ideas: "wortliste_zeilen", "alle_wörter", "liste_textform", ...

In the given context my choice would be

Text

since this matches the common expectation, that a text consists of words.

In general a compound substantive with Gesamt as first part could be found, but I can't recommend the direct translation Ding as second part.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.