A German friend gave me three example sentences with "woanders" and "irgendwo", and I wonder if there is any difference in meaning among them.

"Ich gehe woanders hin", "Ich gehe irgendwo hin", "Ich gehe irgendwo anders hin."

• What specific question remains after having consulted the dictionary of your choice? I'm somewhat tempted to close the qeustion in its present form...
    – guidot
    May 24, 2023 at 13:56
  • I have no more questions to ask. Thank you.
    – Kevin
    May 30, 2023 at 17:17

2 Answers 2

They definitely mean different things. Approximate equivalents in English:

• woanders = elsewhere; i.e. in/to a place other than the one we are now in or the one previously mentioned
  • irgendwo = somewhere/anywhere; i.e. in/to an arbitrary unknown unmentioned place
  • irgendwo anders = somewhere/anywhere else; i.e. in/to an arbitrary unknown unmentioned place that is different from the one we are now in or the one previously mentioned
  • Thank you so much!
    – Kevin
    May 24, 2023 at 21:10

The words emphasize different aspects. Woanders emphasizes that the place in question is somewhere else. It could be "somewhere else than here", but it could also be a comparison to another place. For example:

A: Ich gehe zum Markt, willst du mitkommen?
B: Nein, ich muss noch woanders hin.

Here, B is saying that they have to go to a place other than the market, which is why they can't join A.

On the other hand, irgendwo is stressing the arbitrariness of the place.

• Thank you so much!
    – Kevin
    May 24, 2023 at 21:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.