Der Typ verriet damit eine gewisse Professionalität, und im Allgemeinen war es so, dass die Chance auf einen guten Ausgang bei einem professionellen Täter höher war;...

So I think you can have a consecutivsatz only with dass (without so+adverb/adjektiv in the previous clause) and I also think this could be an objektsatz having to do with es or so in the previous clause maybe?

1 Answer 1

A Konsekutivsatz is a dependent clause that contains a result of the main clause.

Er war so krank, dass er nicht arbeiten konnte. (He was so ill that he could not work.)

I don't see that in your example, so wouldn't call it a consecutive clause.

The function of "so, dass ..." in the sentence is that of a predicative (so not an Objektsatz either):

Im Allgemeinen war es heiß.
("Es" is the subject, "heiß" is an adjective predicative)

Im Allgemeinen war es so, dass die Chance [...] höher war.

I would call it a Prädikativsatz. In a narrower sense, so is the predicative and the dass clause is a defining supplement for so.

• What part of speech is "so" here? An adverb? And apart from that, is it a Korrelat? In my book definition, "so" is not counted to the Korrelate. The DWDS definition to that is very confusing as well. "so" is not a particle of degree here, right? My Duden does not help me out here either, it only knows the consecutive subjunction with the particle of degree. Any help? Jun 1, 2023 at 7:05
  • I would call "so" a Korrelat here, yes. A Korrelat that isn't a pronoun but stands in for an adjective like a pronoun stands in for a noun. But I can't cite a source for that, I might be wrong. In the sentence, it clearly has the function of a predicative.
    – HalvarF
    Jun 1, 2023 at 7:37
  • "so" seems to be a really complicated word. Jun 1, 2023 at 7:40
  • I may have not understood correctly since im not that good at grammar but are you saying that the dass clause is an Attributsatz for so?
    – Srmuiel
    Jun 1, 2023 at 7:40
    @HalvarF This could be interesting: kobra.uni-kassel.de/bitstream/handle/123456789/2013100744110/… It addresses the difficulty of categorizing "so". Jun 1, 2023 at 7:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.