Komm mir jetzt nicht von wegen!

I studied the meanings of "von wegen" on DWDS.de and I still didn't grasp what this means. Plz help.

• Could you specify where you found this? It doesn't seem to make sense on it's own, but, as Janka wrote, it's quite commonly used coloquially with something following, like a citation. "Und komm mir jetzt nicht von wegen 'Ich hab kein Geld.' Du hast genug Geld dafür!"
    – HalvarF
    Commented Jun 18, 2023 at 6:47

2 Answers 2

It's

Komm mir jetzt nicht von wegen …!

which you could translate as

Don't tell it's about …!

It does indeed not tell what we are talking about — this has to be guessed from context. A more common variant is

Komm mir jetzt nicht von wegen keine Zeit!

Don't tell it's about missing spare time!

and similar adverbials.

That von wegen + Nominativ is an odd thingie you won't find outside of speech. In writing and more elaborated speech, it's a regular adverbial von wegen + Genitiv that means almost the same as wegen + Genitiv, with a bit emphasis.

Wegen des Urlaubs frage ich später nochmal.

Von wegen des Urlaubs frage ich später nochmal.

There are some strange translations here. You need "me" after "don't tell" for this to make sense (assuming I understand). I think the translation you might be looking for in your example is: "Don't (even) tell me you didn't have time!"
    – cruthers
    Commented Jun 18, 2023 at 14:38

I think the phrase is corrupted (as spoken language often is) and should read as: Komm mir jetzt nicht mit "von wegen"!

Given that the meaning would be something like "Now don't dare to contradict me!"

see comments

• No, that's not what it means.
    – Janka
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:13
  • @Janka From your answer I see it's is some regional expresson I am not familiar with. From the original question I inferred that the phrase was complete but corrupted. But still I am not sure what it actually means. Is "Komm mir jetzt nicht von wegen keine Zeit!" the same as "Behaupte nicht, dass du keine Zeit hast"?
    – Shakesbeer
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:28
  • Yes, it's the same.
    – Janka
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:32
    I think I get it now. Seems to be a mixture of "Komm mir nicht damit!" and "Von wegen!". A tautology on sentence level, so to say ;-)
    – Shakesbeer
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.