Which one is the correct translation for "I suddenly realised that the bus was there in 7 minutes":

1. Ich habe plötzlich gemerkt, dass der Bus in 7 Minuten wäre.

2. Ich habe plötzlich bemerkt, dass der Bus in 7 Minuten wäre.

I would be happy for an explanation, thanks in advance.

Note: I have some understanding of the verbs already but am struggling more with this specific example.

• Do you mean was there in 7 minutes ?
    – Janka
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 13:39
  • Maybe I can try to make what I meant in the first place more obvious: I had realised that the bus was/would be there in 7 minutes.
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 14:33
  • Does this answer your question? Usage of "realisieren", "merken" and "bemerken"
    – RHa
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 16:38
  • Thanks for the link. I have some understanding of the verbs already but was struggling more with this specific example.
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 16:42

2 Answers 2

Both gemerkt and bemerkt are okay in that context. The difference is subtle. Bemerken is more random that merken.

But it must be

Ich habe plötzlich gemerkt/bemerkt, dass der Bus in 7 Minuten da ist.

You need the da. And German speakers don't use Konjunktiv II in such constructions as the bus is going to be there in seven minutes for real. You may also want to reorder, and add a schon to focus on the urgency.

Ich habe plötzlich gemerkt/bemerkt, dass schon in 7 Minuten der Bus da ist.

• Thank you a lot for your answer! My main question is answered which was about merken/bemerken. If I want to say everything in past tense, can I say: "Ich habe/hatte plötlizch gemerkt/bemerkt, dass der Bus schon in 7 Minuten da war." ?
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 14:38
  • While I agree based on my experience as a German native speaker with the statement "And German speakers don't use Konjunktiv II in such constructions as the bus is going to be there in seven minutes for real.", I would like to add, that using da with Konjunktiv II is not wrong to say but seldom to hear.
    – Olafant
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 16:05
  • and is my above sentence correct with "war". or how can I say it otherwise? @Olafant
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 16:36
  • I think the right translation for "the bus is in X minutes" is "der Bus fährt in X Minuten ab/los/weg". When it arrives doesn't matter after all, only when it leaves.
    – wonderbear
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 18:48
  • what I mean is that the whole thing was in the past. Like I suddenly realised last Friday that the bus (of last Friday) was after 10 minutes
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 19:22

Which one can be considered correct depends on the intended meaning of

realized

Both sentences have the same structure:

haben + adverb + verb in Partizip II

That structure sets the whole action in Perfekt.

The difference in meaning is the result of the fact, that two different verbs are used.

1. merken

gemerkt is Part. II of the verb merken and means something along the lines

perceiving something emotionally, observingly, noticing something

1. bemerken

Partizip II of bemerken is bemerkt.

According to dwds the meaning is a little less specific than for merken.

Bemerken means just

perceiving sth. / so.

and is therefore not limited to an emotional jugdement of the real-world observations.

in short:

Bemerken is perceiving something observable.

Merken is dealing with it emotionally.

Please consider @Janka's answer regarding a flaw in both variants if it comes to being correct or not.

• thank you for your answer!
    – Taylan
    Commented Jul 9, 2023 at 16:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.