I was recently reading a document and I found the word gastgebend for me the meaning is not very clear, that is why i have 2 questions.

1. Is it referring to the person being the host or the guest?
  2. what it a specific word to refer to the guest person?

Thank you very much in advance, i appreacite every comment or input

Can you please give us the complete sentence in which "gastgebend" occurs?
    – Paul Frost
    Commented Jul 18, 2023 at 16:01
  • "gastgebend" is an unwieldy and uncommon adjective. I suspect you're reading a text where someone tried to translate a construction involving e.g. a "host/hosting country" too literally. Commented Jul 19, 2023 at 8:03
  • @KilianFoth Or perhaps something in gendering-context.
    – Paul Frost
    Commented Jul 19, 2023 at 9:10

1 Answer 1

The noun Gastgeber refers to the host. It is derived from the old phrase Gast geben, which means something like to offer night shelter. The adjective gastgebend is the participle from this verb and, therefore, refers to the person who is the host.

The noun Gast refers to the guest. An adjective that refers to the person who is the guest is gastierend. It is the participle from the verb gastieren, which means something like to guest or to make a guest appearance. Notice that the verb is also common today for artists who perform on a stage. So, sentences like Der berühmte Schauspieler gastierte an der Volksbühne does not mean that the actor spent the night there as a guest.

Mnemonic:

• Die gastgebende Person nennt man den Gastgeber.
  • Die gastierende Person nennt man den Gast.
    "An adjective that refers to the person who is the guest is gastierend." Do you have an example where the adjective or verb is used to refer to a guest (and not an actor or singer making a guest appearance)? Is this common usage (as is suggested by the phrasing that the meaning make a guest appearance is also common)?
    – David Vogt
    Commented Jul 18, 2023 at 14:49
    It seems to me that "gastieren" is not used for a person visiting other persons (in the context of a private invitation). A well-known artist, an orchestra and a football team can "gastieren" somewhere else (in the context of an official event).
    – Paul Frost
    Commented Jul 18, 2023 at 16:00
  • @PaulFrost yeah, in that situation you would say "ich besuche dich" rather than "ich gastiere bei dir" (except if you mean it as a joke). "Gastieren" is more for situations where you would use the expression "guest star" in English.
    – rob74
    Commented Jul 19, 2023 at 6:05
  • @rob74 Another variant is "ich bin bei ... zu Gast".
    – Paul Frost
    Commented Jul 19, 2023 at 9:08
    And beware of simple rules in German - gastieren can also be used the other way around: Willst nicht Salz und Schmalz verlieren, Mußt, gemäß den Urgeschichten, Wenn die Leute willst **gastieren**, Dich nach Schnauz' und Schnabel richten. (J.W.v.Goethe, Fuchs und Kranich)
    – Jens
    Commented Jul 19, 2023 at 16:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.