Although the auxiliary verb for stoppen is haben, I see many examples of the use of "gestoppt sein":

Stimmengewirr Der Bau ist gestoppt.

Diegeler macht eine kurze Armbewegung, und das Blut ist gestoppt.

but I can find no examples of "aufgehört sein". It is always "aufgehört haben".

Die Blutung hat aufgehört.

Is there a fundamental reason for this or is it accounted for simply by convention?

1 Answer 1

"Stoppen" is a transitive verb, and thus, it can also be used in passive voice:

Die Behörde hat den Bau gestoppt.
Der Bau wurde von der Behörde gestoppt.
Der Bau ist gestoppt. (Zustandspassiv)

"Aufhören" an intransitive verb, it can't be used with an accusative object. In standard German, one can only say "mit etwas aufhören" or "damit aufhören, etwas zu tun". That's why the verb aufhören can't be used in passive voice or Zustandspassiv in the same way, where the object becomes the subject.

Die Arbeiter haben mit dem Bauen aufgehört.
Die Arbeiter haben aufgehört, die Straße zu bauen.

You might sometimes find a sloppy use of transitive aufhören ("Sie hat das Rauchen aufgehört."), but it's not correct in standard German and does sound wrong.

Addition: As Janka remarked in the comments, intransitive verbs can still have a passive voice, but without an actual subject, and in most cases, Zustandspassiv isn't used.

Es wurde von den Arbeitern mit dem Bauen aufgehört.
Von den Arbeitern wurde mit dem Bauen aufgehört.

There are a few intransitive verbs that are also used with a Zustandspassiv, but imo these are exceptions with their own established meaning.

Mir ist damit nicht geholfen.

• Unfortunately, you can't argue with intransitivity and neither with passive voice because even truly intransitive verbs may have a passive voice in German: e.g Ihm wird damit geholfen. and also Ihm ist damit geholfen.Aufhören is special because it allows neither an accusative nor a dative object. But you can still say Es wird damit aufgehört.
    – Janka
    Jul 26, 2023 at 17:56
  • @Janka: thanks, you're right, I have edited the simplification and added some explanations.
    – HalvarF
    Jul 27, 2023 at 7:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.