Here is a sentence taken from the Linguee dictionary:

Die software richtet sich an eine bestimmte Gruppe von Benutzern.

And it gives the following translation:

The software is aimed at a particular group of users.

Couldn't find such a reflexive use-case of "richten" on Dict.cc. It only gives "prepare oneself/get ready". Is this Linguee example even correct?

• "an etwas sich richten" is not the same as "sich an etwas richten" Aug 26, 2023 at 19:48
  • I don't know what search terms you used, but sich richten an (without quotes, order irrelevant) would have worked.
    – David Vogt
    Aug 27, 2023 at 8:33

1 Answer 1

Yes, that's correct and usual German. The basic form is 'jemand/etwas richtet sich an jemanden'

See dwds: https://www.dwds.de/r/?corpus=kern&q=richten%20an (though I didn't find it directly when looking up 'richten' either

• It's listed in English Wiktionary; in fact several reflexive meanings are listed but #4 seems to be the one intended here. I'm not sure that a separate definition is actually necessary though since adding a reflexive pronoun seems to be a common way of making the verb passive: "Die Tür öffnet sich." You wouldn't say "The door opens itself" in English unless there are robotics involved; even then "The door opens automatically" would be better.
    – RDBury
    Aug 25, 2023 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.