What is the difference between Zeitung and Beitung? I was watching a documentary about WWI and a Viennese newspaper used Beitung. Is this still in usage? Are the words interchangeable. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Screenshot of questioned newspaper

3 Answers 3

It's not Beitung, it's actually Zeitung. In the blackletter typeface used for the headline the Z looks much like a B.

There are "modern" blackletter typefaces which use a Z shaped like in antiqua typefaces, but the shape one can see in the newspaper is actually the authentic one. See for example the Fraktur letters shown here: Mathematical blackletters

Generally the blackletter Z looks like a 3, but here the added vertical lines make it look like a B.

• Thanks. I thought it could be something as simple. Best. Sloan,. Sep 11, 2023 at 21:48

Even as a native speaker I had to look up "Beitung". It is not in use and wasn't probably since even before WWI. While "Zeitung" just means newspaper or in certain contexts the editorial staff of of a newspaper, the "Beitung" meant something like to wait for something or to give someone some sort of respite. So the one has nothing to with the other.

• Thanks for your prompt reply. I went back and added a screenshot for context which I should have done initially. Thanks again for your assistance. It's very much appreciated. SX Sep 11, 2023 at 20:33

They aren't related.

There is a really old verb beiten which means to bide. It's not even present in Luther's bible translation. That's how old it is. It survived in some upper German dialects, that's maybe how it got into that documentation.

That Beitung is a noun made from that verb: biding. It is not a common noun either.

• Thanks for your prompt reply. I went back and added a screenshot for context which I should have done initially. Thanks again for your assistance. It's very much appreciated. SX. Sep 11, 2023 at 20:33
    That is a German Blackletter (Fraktur) Z in your photo. It looks like a 3 usually, and some fonts add a vertical bar to tell it apart from a 3. The Fraktur B looks much different.
    – Janka
    Sep 11, 2023 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.