Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein Trend, der auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagiert. (Umformulieren mit Partizip Struktur)

I am a bit confused on how to go about this question. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. We have to first make a decision on which verb to turn into participle. It could either be "sind" or "reagiert", intuition says it should be reagieren.

2. We need to figure out where to place the participle... which I am again not sure of how to decide that.

I saw these two example formulations online from:

Gleichzeitige Handlungen- Partizip 1

Während Philip das Fleisch brät, spielt er mit seinem Hund

Das Fleisch bratend, spielt Philip mit seinem Hund

Nachdem Philip das Fleisch gebraten hat, spielt er mit seinem Hund

Das Fleisch gebraten, spielt Philip mit seinem Hund

Now, I can't figure out how to use the ideas from these two examples to solve my original one. I guess one point one can take away is where the verb should be after made into participle form. It should be nearby to where it was relative to other words before conversion.

Expected answer is supposed to be

Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagierender Trend.

The two exercises are unrelated. I wouldn't trust the second site at all. The first is fine, but if there is no example or answer key given, what use is it to you?
    – David Vogt
    Commented Sep 22, 2023 at 8:33
  • I've edited in the answer @DavidVogt
    – Babu
    Commented Sep 22, 2023 at 8:41
  • I wouldn't trust a site purporting to teach German but writing "Umformulieren mit Partizip Struktur". Compound nouns are expected to be compounded in German, it is "Partizipstruktur".
    – bakunin
    Commented Sep 22, 2023 at 13:20
    Overcomplicated grammatical structures can be dangerous. Don't try this at home.
    – Alazon
    Commented Sep 22, 2023 at 13:40

1 Answer 1

Forget about that language-easy site. This is wrong information, German speakers don't talk nor write like that.

Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein Trend, der auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagiert.

What you have there is a relative clause. Such clauses explain a noun. But you can also "inline" them as a participle group. To do that, you have to turn the conjugated verb into a Partizip I.

So the relative pronoun in dropped, reagiert becomes reagierend, it's declined for the noun, and all that is inlined before the noun.

Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagierender Trend.

For example in Perfekt there is an auxiliary, so you have to make that conjugated auxiliary the Partizip I instead:

Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein Trend, der auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagiert hat.

Kombinierte Studiengänge sind ein auf eine Entwicklung sowohl in der Wissenschaft als auch auf dem Arbeitsmarkt reagiert habender Trend.

The Partizip II is used if the relative clause is in passive voice. But careful, this is only possible if the action has been completed as the Partizip II is both passive and perfect.

Er mag die Wurst, die auf das Brot gelegt worden ist.

Er mag die auf das Brot gelegte Wurst.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.