Two characters in a book were talking about the price of a commodity and the price was Einsfünfundvierzig. I am not sure if it is 45 or 145. Tanks

1 Answer 1

It's 1 Euro and 45 cents – or whatever denominations are in use in the story. The currency word can be left out in speech when the number is still clear unambiguously.

• 199,95 € → einhundertneunundneunzig (Euro) fünfundneunzig
  • 1,45 € → eins fünfundvierzig / ein Euro fünfundvierzig
  • 20,75 € → zwanzig (Euro) fünfundsiebzig

You have to add the currency word for prices like 200,38 as "zweihundert achtundreißig" would be indistinguishable from "zweihundertachtundreißig" (238). Thus:

• 200,38 € → zweihundert Euro achtunddreißig
  • 238,00 € → zweihundertachtunddreißig Euro
    American English has similar shortenings, for example "nine ninety nine" for $9.99 . I'm guessing the British do something like that too, at least post-decimalisation. I suppose it's all mashed into one word in German because that's the normal way to write numbers.
    – RDBury
    Oct 8, 2023 at 11:31
  • @RDBury No, it's not mashed into one word. The cents are separated from the main unit, just the way it's written in this answer.
    – idmean
    Oct 9, 2023 at 7:14
  • @idmean I'd say the non-separated form is more common, but it's hard to tell because these are rarely ever written down as words. Einsfuffzig would normally just be written as 1,50.
    – HalvarF
    Oct 9, 2023 at 7:26
    That it can only be currency is wrong: it could equally be length/height ("Wie groß bist Du?" "Eins fünfzig.") or many other units where values with (two decimal) fractions are common.
    – bakunin
    Oct 9, 2023 at 12:58
    Lengths of time, though heavily dependent on context. "Wie lange soll das in die Mikrowelle? - Eins dreißig." = 1 Minute 30 Sekunden. "Welche Zeit ist er beim Marathon gelaufen? - Zwei dreizehn." = 2 Stunden 13 Minuten. Generally when the smaller unit has at most two digits, which is the reason why it isn't used for weights or volumes, where the smaller unit is a thousandth of the bigger one. Oct 9, 2023 at 23:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.