Here is a sentence taken from Die Grammatik von Duden:

Sätze und satzwertige Infinitivphrasen können Gegenstand von Ausklammerung ins Nachfeld sein.

I cannot quite make sense of the English translation of the given sentence. Is it like

Sentences and sentence-worthy infinitive phrases can be subjects of exclusion in the Nachfeld.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• A translation request should identify a specific problem, see german.meta.stackexchange.com/q/628. You say you cannot make sense of the English translation; can you make sense of the original?
    – David Vogt
    Nov 21, 2023 at 12:54
  • @DavidVogt: How any more "specific" than a certain sentence and its translation could it possibly be, hm?
    – bakunin
    Nov 21, 2023 at 13:02
    Specific would mean identifying a phrase or word or structure that causes the problem, but also telling us what you do already understand. All explained in the linked post.
    – David Vogt
    Nov 21, 2023 at 13:06

2 Answers 2

You rightly complain concerning the awful style.

Referring Wikipedia: Feldermodell I see, that Ausklammerung is moving from within the Satzklammer/Mittelfeld towards the Nachfeld. (Note, that ins translates to towards, not to in.)

A simpler translation would be

Sentences and sentence-worthy structures may be moved into the Nachfeld.

"Sentence-worthy" strikes me as odd, I would propose:

Infinitival clauses may undergo extraposition to the Nachfeld, (or: may undergo rightward shift into the Nachfeld.)

"Satzwertiger Infinitiv" is a term from a traditional analysis which maintained that all "clauses" (or sentences), including subordinate clauses, had to contain a finite verb. Therefore, an infinitival construction could not be called a clause. Instead, such infinitivals were dubbed not "Satz" but "satz-wertig" = roughly: "clause-equivalent". This view is outdated, but the term has remained. I would simply call it "infiniter Nebensatz".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.