I understand some German and am just testing listening skills. I found this song by Marlene Dietrich and have a hard time understanding, could somebody help write the Liedtext in German?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCbDJ9K9UxU

This is the poem Leise zieht durch mein Gemüt bei Heinrich Heine. The youtube video's title says it was a lullaby, which it is not. Just fyi, the melody is by Felix Mendelssohn, I believe. Nov 22, 2023 at 17:10
  • Thanks Jonathan, I was able to find the songs you are a big help
    – anon
    Nov 22, 2023 at 23:02
  • @JonathanScholbach: I don't quite understand the rationale behind posting a (great!) answer as a comment.
    – bakunin
    Nov 24, 2023 at 10:54
  • The question asked for the lyrics. I didn't have time to type them out. I was also distracted by thinking about closing the question. Nov 24, 2023 at 11:18

2 Answers 2

Leise zieht durch mein Gemüt Liebliches Geläute. Klinge, kleines Frülingslied, Kling hinaus ins Weite.

Ein Männlein steht im Walde ganz still und stumm; es hat von lauter Purpur ein Mäntlein um. Sagt, wer mag das Männlein sein, das da steht im Wald allein mit dem purpurroten Mäntelein?

Marlene Dietrich sings the first verse of Heinrich Heine's poem Leise zieht durch mein Gemüt:

Leise zieht durch mein Gemüt
liebliches Geläute,
Klinge, kleines Frühlingslied
Kling hinaus ins Weite.

Then she sings the first verse of August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben's children's song Ein Männlein steht im Walde:

Ein Männlein steht im Walde
Ganz still und stumm,
Es hat von lauter Purpur
Ein Mäntlein um.
Sagt, wer mag das Männlein sein,
Das da steht im Wald’ allein
Mit dem purpurrothen Mäntelein?

She finishes with both verses of Heine's poem:

Leise zieht durch mein Gemüt
liebliches Geläute,
Klinge, kleines Frühlingslied
Kling hinaus ins Weite.

Kling hinaus, bis an das Haus,
wo die Blumen sprießen.
Wenn du eine Rose schaust,
sag, ich lass sie grüßen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.