My attempt:

Ohne ihr hervorragendes Training würde das sicherlich anders verlaufen

Correct answer:

Ohne ihr hervorragendes Training wäre das sicherlich anders verlaufen

Why is mine wrong? I thought "würden" can be used with anything to make K-2

• I'm a bit confused by your last statement because it sounds like "würden" is a verb; it's an inflection of "werden".
    – RDBury
    Nov 26, 2023 at 6:19
  • Yours is not "wrong", it just means something different: In the correct answer, the competition (or what ever it is, what "verlaufen" refers to), happened in the past, while in your attempt, it will happen in the future, and you express that the outcome of the competition depends on her training. Nov 28, 2023 at 8:13

1 Answer 1

It depends on the exercise, and the intended meaning. Verlaufen can both be an infinitive (as in soll or wird verlaufen) and a past participle (as in ist verlaufen). Looking at the other verbs in the exercise might help – are they infinitives (ablaufen) or participles (abgelaufen)?

As far as wäre verlaufen versus würde verlaufen is concerned, the difference is that between past and non-past; both have the value of a subjunctive and express irrealis mood. The difference is observed in continuations such as the following.

Ohne das Training wäre das anders verlaufen (abgelaufen). Aber glücklicherweise ist es so verlaufen.

Ohne das Training würde es anders verlaufen (ablaufen). Aber glücklicherweise verläuft es so.

Note that the first example is simply the perfect of verlaufen with the auxiliary in the past subjunctive (wäre) and the present indicative (ist), respectively.

Since both wäre verlaufen and würde verlaufen are grammatical, yet wäre verlaufen is indicated as the correct answer, I assume the exercise requires one to use the "subjunctive of the past" (perfect with the auxiliary in the past subjunctive; Konjunktiv Präteritumperfekt in the IDS terminology).

Worth noting explicitly, since it’s only implied in your answer, that both options produce grammatically valid sentences, so devoid of context, the option chosen by the asker isn’t wrong. If the exercise is simply asking to choose between werden and sein in Konjunktiv-II with no further specification, both should be considered correct answers. Nov 26, 2023 at 14:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.