I have been sent a document from Lübeck dated 1928 where the word "mohnhaft" in reference to a record made about my grandmother. Can you help? I'll gladly send a copy of the document.

You should supply a copy of the document.
    – Paul Frost
    Jan 12 at 23:23
    @HubertSchölnast, except for a misreading, this can be answered by a dictionary. An answer would not be useful to anyone else in the future. I have therefore now voted to close, I should have done that in the first place.
    – Carsten S
    Jan 13 at 11:20

1 Answer 1

This word makes no sense.

• Mohn (noun) = papaver
  • -haft (suffix) = -ish, -ly, -ous, ...

So, mohnhaft would mean papaverish, papaverly, papaverous or something like that. But that makes absolutely no sense, especially in an official document.

But there is a German word that exists and makes perfect sense, and its natural habitat is even the realm of official documents:

wohnhaft = resident

an einem Ort wohnhaft sein = to be resident in a place

The first part (wohn-) is the stem of the verb wohnen.

The second part (-haft) is the same as just described, but when added to a verb, it is often better to translate is as -ing, although that is not exactly the same, but it's the best you can get in English, because by adding -haft to a word, the resulting word is an adjective. But adding -ing in English does not change the status of a verb being a verb.

Another way, that only works with a small number of verbs, is adding -ent to turn it into an adjective. This works well with to reside → resident but not with the other verbs that can be used as translation of wohnen.

So, here are translations that work:

Er ist in Wien wohnhaft. = He is living in Vienna.
Er ist in Wien wohnhaft. = He is resident in Vienna.

However, as living is not an adjective, but resident is, the word resident comes closer to the original meaning of the German word.

The question is obviously based on a reading error and has no value for anyone but OP. Everything else stated in this answer can be found in a dictionary.
    – Olafant
    Jan 13 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.