"A math tutor schooled me in the finer points of the Pythagorean theorem"

Is "Ein Mathematiklehrer brachte mir die Feinheiten im Satz des Pythagoras bei" a good translation? Is there a better one?

You should provide more context to answer the question. In the present form I vote to close it.
    – Paul Frost
    Jan 12 at 23:21
  • Simple translation or proofreading requests are considered off-topic here. It would help if you could narrow the issue down to a specific phrase that's confusing you. If you just want a translation, machine translators such as Google Translate and Deepl usually do a good job (though still not perfect).
    – RDBury
    Jan 13 at 15:20

1 Answer 1

Der Satz des Pythagoras is a fixed term so it should be

• die Feinheiten des Satzes des Pythagoras

or

• die Feinheiten im Satz des Pythagoras

if you want to avoid the double genitive.

• Satz des Pythagoras oder Satz von Pythagoras. Das macht keinen Unterschied imho (außer das 'des' etwas schöner klingt, weil es mit ein Plaisier ist, mich einer elaborierten Sprache zu befleißigen. Jan 13 at 8:29
  • Shouldn't "Pythagoras-Satz" be considered a valid alternative? Die Feinheiten des Pythagoras-Satzes ...
    – bakunin
    Jan 13 at 15:53
  • @bakunin no, every native speaker of German learns about it as "Satz des/von Pythagoras" in school and will only recognize those wordings and will be confused if you say it differently
    – wonderbear
    Jan 13 at 21:52
  • @wonderbear: in this case I should have perhaps my native speaker status revoked, because I remember my teachers using both variants. I will switch over to my native Northern-Korean SE now.
    – bakunin
    Jan 13 at 22:32
  • @bakunin, ich war jetzt neugierig, ob das vielleicht auch eine Generationenfrage ist, aber wenn ich einfach nach „Satz Pythagoras“ google, muss ich sehr weit nach unten scrollen, bis ich zum ersten Msl „Satz von Pythagoras“ lese. Aber das kann natürlich mündlich häufiger sein.
    – Carsten S
    Jan 14 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.