Duolingo marked me wrong for saying "Vergiss es nicht, deinen Reisepass zu holen." Is this because the "es" is redundant because the Nebensatz acts as an object?

As an aside: I suppose the "rice passport" is a "Reisepass. ;-)
    – bakunin
    Jan 16 at 15:59
    Back-translating into English, you said "Don't forget it to bring your passport."
    – TonyK
    Jan 18 at 0:20

2 Answers 2

Yes. You're right.

the "es" is redundant because the Nebensatz acts as an object

You don't need the "es" (which can stand in when something is ommitted), because there is nothing ommitted:

deinen Reisepass zu holen

is already this object and you don't need to mark ommitting it because you didn't do so in first place.

Consider this alternative phrasing:

Du mußt deinen Reisepaß holen. Vergiß es nicht.

Here you have indeed the object left out of the sentence and you "set a marker" for it with the "es".

Why all the wrong eszetts?
    – xehpuk
    Jan 17 at 11:20
    @xehpuk: "wrong" says who? (And before you say "Deutscher Rechtschreiberat" or something similar: they can dictate how German is written in schools and government run offices. Stackexchange is neither.) As Tim said in his comment, nobody is bound by any of the nonsense these people decree.
    – bakunin
    Jan 17 at 16:40
    @Sprudelwasser because "es" in the sentence does not mean the Reisepaß itself, but rather the act of getting the latter.
    – arne
    Jan 17 at 16:44
    @bakunin I don't think I need to explain why having standards is a good thing.
    – xehpuk
    Jan 17 at 20:14
    Sorry for adding to this noise: First of all, I am old enough to having learnt the old German orthography at school and adopted the new one after school - so, it is not a matter of age. Also, the answer is inconsistent (Reisepaß and Reisepass is both used in the answer). Also, on SE, there are many people seeking help whose primary language is not German, and IMHO we should not help them by using an orthography which is obsolete for more than 20 years now. Jan 18 at 7:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.