Hast du schon was vor?
Duo said this is translated as "Do you have plans yet?" But I'm not sure what "was" adds to it? "Do you have something planned?" Is that it? I've seen it in another sentence too. Hast du noch was Geld "Do you still have something money?" but "was" is a shortened form of etwas meaning "something". Help me bitte! And please help me understand the reasoning for using "was".

1 Answer 1

Hast du schon (et)was vor?

The relevant verb phrase is etwas vorhaben — to have something on, to be up to something. So it means

• Are you up to something yet?

That “something” etwas may be shortened to was in colloquial German.

Hast du noch etwas Geld?

This one is entirely different. You can't shorten the etwas to was in this phrase as this etwas doesn't mean something but some. It would be wrong even in colloquial German. So it means

• Do you still have some money?
    I suggest to add the conclusion to the second part that Hast du noch was Geld is colloquial at best (if not outright wrong) and can't be recommended for use.
    – guidot
    Commented Jan 25 at 9:25
    It would be nice to mention that shortening "etwas" to "was" is somewhat colloquial and likely most used in spoken, not written language. (And "Hast du noch was Geld" is entirely colloquial - I actually do hear that frequently.)
    – tofro
    Commented Jan 25 at 9:41
  • Thank you! You guys are amazing! I love this platform and I got help so quick!. And such great answers!! Thanks 😊 🥳
    – TXCandi
    Commented Jan 26 at 11:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.