The context concerns a certain component - for brevity let's call it X. Some believe this component is the name of a single part of a multi-part whole. Others believe it is the name of the multi-part whole itself. What does "X muss auf das Ganze gehen" mean? From the context I infer it means, effectively, "X is the whole." Am I correct? The word I care about most is this sentence is aufgehen. Dictionaries are not providing clear help. I see a common definition of aufgehen in dictionaries as "rise up from." That could possibly fit the context, but I suspect it is not correct. Despite the use of the accusative, which parallels my example, this idea does not seem to fit either: Auf den Sack gehen.

1 Answer 1

Unfortunately, your interpretation is wrong. The verb is not "aufgehen". One can tell this because the parts of a separable verb do not separate when it's in infinitive, so aufgehen is still aufgehen when combined with a modal verb like müssen.

Auf etwas gehen here means to aim at something or to go for something. So, the sentence literally means "X must go for the whole." A more idiomatic translation is probably "X has to go all in."

• Fabulous, RHa! Thank you. In the back of my mind I wondered about aufgehen. I should have looked up gehen + auf. This now makes sense.
    – Ben Weaver
    Commented Mar 14 at 21:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.