Note: The original question asked for "Zinnehmer", which is a misreading.

In Austrian government books from "Schematismus des Königreiches Galizien und Lodomerien" series from ca. 1825 I came across the term "Provis. Zinnehmer", which described some sort of customs official:

enter image description here

But what was the full name of that position and what was the responsibility of such a man?

When I've Googled for "Zinnehmer" I got results related almost entirely to different Schematismus, which was not very helpful...

This is surely an "E", so the word is "Einnehmer". Just look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraktur#Typeface_samples, a "Z" looks nothing like that. As for "provis", the two stems duden knows starting with it are either "Provision" (commision) and "provisorisch" (provisionally). (Answers should not be comments, and I hope we get a "proper" answer explaining what an "Einnehmer" and "Schrankenzieher" at a "Weg- und Brückenmauthamt" were.)
    – Dodezv
    May 15 at 12:44
    The original question asked for "Zinnehmer", which is a misreading. If the question is therefore obsolet, please delete it yourself. If it is adaptable to the correct reading, please correct it in that regard. May 15 at 15:16
  • @Dodezv: Thank you for your answer! I feel embarrassed that I forgot to check such an obvious thing as typeface :( May 16 at 6:31

1 Answer 1

The word »einnehmen« is a Verb. It means to earn, to make (money):

Wie lief das Geschäft heute?
Ganz gut, ich habe fast 10.000 Euro eingenommen, und rechne damit, dass ich morgen 15.000 Euro einnnehmen werde.

How did business go today?
Quite well, I made almost 10,000 euros and I expect to make 15,000 euros tomorrow.

This verb describes exactly what an official does whose job it is to collect tolls and taxes. And if you convert this verb into a noun (which is called nominalization), you get: Einnehmer. So it's the name for a profession. You could translate it as cashier. See also: https://www.geschichtewiki.wien.gv.at/Einnehmer

Here is the full text of the section shown in the original post:

K. K. Weg- und Brückenmauthamt
Makow.
Provis. Einnehmer. Hr. Michael Ludwig.
1 Schrankenzieher.
Jordanow.
Verpachtet.
Mszana dolna.
Provis. Einnehmer. Hr. Joseph Loreth.
1 Schrankenzieher.
Dobra.
Provis. Einnehmer. Hr. Kaspar Appel.
1 Schrankenzieher.
Limanow.
Provis. Einnehmer. Hr. Joh. Gräfner.
1 Schrankenzieher.

• »K. K.« is the abbreviation for »kaiserlich-königlich« ("imperial-royal", i.e. belonging to the emperor and king)
  • »Weg- und Brückenmautamt« means road and bridge toll office
  • »provis.« is the abbreviation for »provisorisch« (provisional)
  • »verpachtet« means leased.
  • A »Schrankenzieher« is a barrier puller.
  • »Hr.« is the abbreviation for »Herr« (mister)
  • All other words are proper names.
  • Thank you for your detailed answer! I feel embarassed that I forgot to check such an obvious thing as typeface :( But still it was very helful for me that you explained also other abbreviations, especially "provis." which does not occur so often in documents from k.k-Era which I've come across so far... May 16 at 6:33
  • "Brückenbauamt" is plain wrong, it is "BrückenMAUTHamt"! "Mauth", or as it is written today, "Maut", is a road charge or toll. It is not a "road and bridge construction office", but a "road and bridge toll office" and the "Einnehmer" is the one charged with collecting the toll
    – bakunin
    2 days ago
  • @bakunin: You have sufficient reputation to correct other authors' contributions that contain obvious mistakes or errors. Writing comments is not the right way to deal with such errors. 2 days ago
  • @HubertSchölnast: I am terribly sorry for not having known that my reputation makes it my job to edit your wrong answers until they are correct. I was of the (obviously wrong) opinion that the author of an answer is the one responsible for its correctness. Also, my sincerest apologies for giving a reason why I downvoted your answer, I didn't understand that explaining a downvote is such a bad behavior.
    – bakunin
    yesterday

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.