Despite searching, I have been unable to find any real equivalents for the above.

I have found some instances of "denn dass / denndass / denndaß", but this seems to be a very rare construction.

Are there any direct, stylistic equivalents which serve the functions as shown in the below examples?

"For that there were few instances, it was difficult to find an equivalent."

"I will for to find an equivalent."

Auf Deutsch geschrieben:

"Ich will für﹖ ein Äquivalent finden."

"Denn dass﹖ es wenige Beispiele gab, war es schwer, ein Äquivalent zu finden."

I will also note that these are no longer in common use; they are archaic constructions.

I have traced "for that" to Old English "forðæm , forðanðe"; being also an early West-Germanic language, I would imagine there is an equivalent in Old/Middle High German. "For that", in this sense, is used exclusively to indicate causality, but never consequentially (i.e. "for that it was so" but not "it was so; for that,").

"For to" was in use especially in Middle English, for instance: "What wolt thou me for to do?" "This behoueth me for to do".

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!

The first one, how is that different in meaning to because/since/as (= weil)? The second one I do not even understand in English, I have never seen this construction, so it would be helpful if you could add an explanation what it means.
    – wonderbear
    Commented Jul 10 at 5:32
    What is "I will for to find an equivalent" supposed to mean? Commented Jul 10 at 8:00
  • @KilianFoth I believe it means sth along the lines of "...in order to..." Commented Jul 10 at 8:35
  • "for that" would neatly be expressed by "dafür", but honestly, I don't understand the English construct "for to". Could you edit your question, bringing another example of the use of "for to", in an appropritate context. Commented Jul 10 at 10:35
    additionally, isn't it actually "Mesotherium"?
    – Alazon
    Commented Jul 10 at 15:06

1 Answer 1

You are looking for a da-adverb:

For that there were few …

Dafür, dass es einige …

I will for to find an equivalent.

Are you sure this is common in English? I never saw this before. Anyway, in German you can express it again with a da-Adverb and that is indeed common.

Ich finde dafür eine Entsprechung.

The combination "for to" is indeed rare in modern English. The refrain of the spiritual "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" contains the line "Coming for to carry me home," but otherwise I'd consider it dialectical at best.
    – RDBury
    Commented Jul 11 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.