I've started reading "Lotte in Weimar" (at least: I'm trying to), and I noticed many references to "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" through the main character of Charlotte Buff. Should I read "Die Leiden" first, before reading "Lotte in Weimar"?

This question appears to be off-topic because it is not about the German language itself or its usage but rather about, well, a novel. – Em1 Nov 13 '13 at 15:41
  • @Em1 - So Thomas Mann's or Goethe's writings have nothing to do with the German language? Strange. Also, what is the "literature" tag then for? – stevenvh Nov 16 '13 at 13:34
  • I did say: your question has nothing to do with the German language. - If, however, there's anything inside those books that you don't understand, you can ask that here. But the order in which books should be read is NOT about languages at all. – Em1 Nov 16 '13 at 15:19

Thomas Mann's 1939 novel 'Lotte in Weimar' recounts a fictional reunion between Goethe and the object of his youthful passion, Charlotte Buff.

One of the most famous - and infamous - works in the history of literature. Also known as one of the greatest love stories in world literature.

So yea, i think you should read 'The sorrow of young Werther' first.

I hope this helped you a little.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.