What's the difference between allerdings and zugeben? Allerdings is a modal particle which means "I have to admit". Can it be replace with zugeben? For example,

1. Ich muß zugeben, daß du Recht hast.
  2. Du hast allerdings Recht.
    I think these sentences are similar in meaning, but not really exact enough to compare. The first one is "I must admit, you are right" while the second one is "You are certainly/admittedly right." Allerdings is, yes, a modal particle as well as in interjection; whereas, zugeben is a verb.
    – thekeyofgb
    Dec 24 '13 at 10:43
    "Zugegebenermaßen hast du Recht."
    – Ingo
    Dec 24 '13 at 10:50
    I don't think it makes sense to compare verbs and adverbs. And "allerdings" does not mean what you wrote here. Neither is it a modal particle. It introduces a contradiction and is kind of like "aber" ... and it has other meanings, too.
    – Emanuel
    Dec 24 '13 at 12:27

Zugegeben is something that you can do (a verb):

Ich gebe zu, dass du Recht hast!
(I admit, you are right.)

Allerdings means something like that:

You aren't right very often, but you are right this time!
(Du hast selten Recht, diesmal allerdings schon.)

Here but means allerdings!

Zugegeben, die Antwort ist richtig (wenngleich auch nicht ganz vollständig). Allerdings bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob "something like that" eine tolle Erklärung ist.
    – Em1
    Dec 27 '13 at 23:50
    Naja man kann nicht immer 1 zu 1 übersetzen, also "so etwas in der art/wie" !
    – Hans Peter
    Dec 27 '13 at 23:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.