I found a beautiful German antique apothecary glass jar that has a rhyme on it, written in what appears to be an old form of German. Can anyone translate it for me:

Do ho ich müß'n sechs Pfoff'n mol'n, mög sie olle d'r Teif'l hol'n.

There are hand-painted pictures of an oldish looking fellow with a large nose and wearing glasses, a strange long narrow hat and robe, carrying some sort of cane and holding a piece of paper in front of a snake wrapped around an apple tree. I would really appreciate any help you can give me with this.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

The inscription reads:

Do ho ich müß'n sechs Pfoff'n mol'n mög sie olle d'r Teif'l hol'n

We have a dialect transcription which in proper German reads as:

Da habe ich sechs Pfaffen malen müssen, möge sie alle der Teufel holen.

An English translation would then be:

So I had to draw six shavelings - shall the devil take them all.

• Könnte hinkommen. Mein Versuch war ziemlich ähnlich. – PMF Dec 30 '13 at 13:06
    Good catch, the ß. – Carsten S Dec 30 '13 at 13:18
    @PiedPiper: thank you for the edit of the images to the question, great work. But with all respect I disagree here. Parson is not really better. A parson is a proper term for a usually protestant clergyman but Pfaffen is a derogatory term for a catholic priest. This would also hold true for a shaveling (sb. with a shaved head) but it may be a more British term. – Takkat Feb 15 at 22:41
  • Could you add, just for the record, which dialect it probably is? – Philipp Feb 20 at 15:59
  • @Philipp: unfortunately not - all I can say is that it is a dialect I am unfamiliar with... Frankonian? – Takkat Feb 20 at 19:31

protected by Community Feb 15 at 21:52

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.