How would you say Electronic Engineering in German? I've looked it up and it appears in some places just as "Elektronik", but it is like the "engineering" part there is missing. I'm just a beginner so I don't know much about the language so maybe that translation is correct.

  • I can speak German, but have no idea about the subject of Electronic Engineering. Linguee gives two translations: linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/…
    – Iris
    Commented Feb 8, 2016 at 14:35

2 Answers 2


Electronic engineering is a subfield of electrical engineering (Elektrotechnik). In Germany, usually people who do electronic engineering are called Elektrotechniker or Elektroingenieure (if holding a university degree).

Elektroniker are usually people who just have a vocational training and install/repair radios, TVs, etc.

Elektronik usually only refers to plain "electronics", i.e. electronic circuits or elements.

  • Just to add a reference: The wikipedia articel about Electrical engineering is in German about Elektrotechnik
    – Iris
    Commented Feb 8, 2016 at 15:33
  • To add another data point: University majors for electrical engineering are usually called Elektrotechnik in Germany. Commented Feb 8, 2016 at 17:13

You would say Elektronik. The translation you found is indeed correct.

  • And how would just "Electronic" be translated?
    – Tendero
    Commented Feb 8, 2016 at 14:38
  • 1
    Electronic is an adjective in English, so the equivalent adjective in German would be elektronisch. Die Elektronik is not an adjective in German, however. In fact, academic subjects are normally like the above word. If you were studying German, you would refer to German as Germanistik and not Deutsch.
    – Austinh1
    Commented Feb 8, 2016 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.